With the funding initiative KMU-innovativ, the BMBF supports research and development in small and medium-sized companies in Germany in order to make especially use of their innovation potential, as they often produce major innovations thanks to their market proximity and flexibility.
Research projects are funded in all technology fields that have high priority for Germany like:
- Electronics; Autonomous electric driving
- Research for Civil Security
- Information-and communication technologies
- Materials research
- Medical technology
- Human-technology interaction
- Photonics and quantum technologies
- Resource efficiency and climate protection
Funding within these technology fields is open to any topic. The decisive factors are the excellence and degree of innovation of the project, as well as high market opportunities. The funding rate is 50% to max. 60%. The deadline for submission is April 15th and October 15th every year.